Sunday, August 30, 2009

The first 4 weeks (playing catch up)

Week 4, 5, and 6 were a breeze. Mild to moderate nausea but no tossing my cookies, yet. I felt like I could sleep all day, and did every chance I was able to. Week 7 rolled around and HELLOOOOOO MORNING SICKNESS!!! As I hovered over the toilet at my Grammy Lil's house, I thought "welcome to week 7...it's going to be GREAT!" Bruce of course laughed at my sarcasm and helped me get myself straight and ready to go for the day. As week 7 continued so did the morning sickness, or rather, the all day sickness. Some days are better than others, and I rather enjoy my better days. I continually try to bribe Bruce into being sick for me for just one day (as if it would ever happen) He of course declines, but I suppose the thought alone is comforting. 

August 28 was our first OB appointment. As we were driving in the pooring down rain, doing 35 mph on I 95 Bruce asks "Am I going to be bored in there". I chuckled and said "I don't know, this is my first pregnancy, I don't know what they do in there" He replies "Thats right, I forgot you've never been pregnant before" DUHHH!! Silly man! :-)  

We get to the appointment right on time. We are called back and immediately, the fun begins. "Mrs. Baker, lets go ahead get your weight first" says the nurse (I always knew me doing this to my patients would come back to haunt me!!)  I step on, and like any good woman would do, completely blocked my husband's view of the scale! Of course this is AFTER I take off the flip flops I was wearing, as if it would make a difference!! We get my weight and head to the exam room. 

We quickly do our health history and the health history of our parents. Easy peasy! We receive a gift bag with all sorts of goodies in it. Different types of nausea candy, I believe they are called "preggo pops" (by the way, they are nasty and will more than likely make you hurl more so than keep you from it). We get all kinds of prenatal vitamins, pregnancy magazines, parenting magazines, a list of medications I can take and a list of food I can't eat or have to limit eating. 

The nurse practitioner, Shawn, comes in and introduces herself and the exam begins. We get all the routine stuff out of the way and she feels my uterus. She thinks we are further along than 7 wks 5 days so decides to order an ultra sound to date the pregnancy. After the exam was finished we were sent down the hallway for blood work. Seven vials of blood later, we were headed to the front desk to make our 4 week check up appointment.

Tuesday, September 1 at 10:30 a.m. will be our first ultra sound. We are so excited to be able to see the baby :-D  Our 4 week check up will be September 25.  As we leave the office, I ask Bruce "so honey, were you bored in there" to which he replies "No, that was actually really interesting!" Boy and I in for a ride!! Hopefully he will continue to think this pregnancy is "interesting" and not "repulsive"  we shall see....

1 comment:

  1. Yay for good appointments! You should see the heartbeat on thursday :) that will make you feel so much better. Thanks for the comment on my page. We are just hoping nothing changes. I am around all the time, so anytime you want to visit... just let me know :)

    ReplyDelete